BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 19, 2017

Warhammer 40K 8th Edition

June 17 was a great day for the gaming community with the release of 40K 8th Edition.  I picked up everything I needed to support the release.


Now I didn't need two starter sets but I plan to use the Primaris Space Marines with my Custodian / Sisters of Silence forces.  I also plane to make a Death Guard force with the models in the two starter set plus a set I already have.  This will give me two more armies in the future however I will finish my Ork army first. 

I also picked up the dice, tactical cards, White Dwarf and the measuring tool.  I could not resist the measuring tool and once I got home I punched a hole in it and put it right next to my AoS one.






On the release day my local game store was hosting a Boot Camp.  It was just two guys playing, explaining the rules to everyone and answering questions.  It was a great way to get people together and just share their excitement for the game.  By the end of the day all the tables were full of people playing 40K and it took me back to the good old days when the shop was full of people playing games. 

With all the positive reviews about the new edition of 40K I have one criticism.  The army Index have the point values in the back of the book.  When I want to create an army list for Matched Play I have to flip back and froth in the Index.  With the cost of the Index only being $25 I decided to cut the pages out of my Index and create my own unit sheets.  I scanned all the pages into my computer and just did some cut and paste.  Then I created a table to add in the weapons/cost for the unit so no more flipping around in the book.  It is a minor criticism and I don't know why the costs could not just be added to the data sheets.  I will admit I really do like my solution creating the unit sheets.  Now I can just pull out the sheets that I need for my army making it easier while playing. 


Moving forward I will be spending more time reading the rules and playing the game.  On July 1 I will be taking part in a one day tournament at 1000 points and only 1 or 2 detachments.  The goal of this tournament is just to get everyone together playing the game and helping each other learn.  Also starting in July I will be taking part in a painting challenge.  We will be painting up 500 points a month over the next four months to create 2000 point armies. 

Well that is how my 40K 8th Edition weekend went and it was just a lot of fun.  

7 Comments:

Neal Smith said...

Give this a shot. I haven't checked them all out, but it looks promising...

https://webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#!/rosterCreator

Dagreenskins said...

Thanks for the link. I messed around with it on my phone and it seems to deal with Power Levels and not points. I will try it on my laptop later and see if it has more options.

Thor said...

The points only exist in one location so that if they need to update point costs then they only need update that one sheet, or two sheets, whatever. So, they can publish a simple PDF with wargear listed and new costs. It saves them from having to update an entire Index, codex, etc. Otherwise, you're having to update the cost of every unit if a common piece of wargear changes prices.

Thor said...

Oh, but I agree that it's a pain in the butt not having everything right there. It's logical what they've done from their perspective, but it is annoying to us, the gamer.

Neal Smith said...

I *think* there is a button/menu option to use points instead of the power levels.

Dagreenskins said...

Thor thanks for the insight on why the points costs is separate from the data sheets. As a business that is a smart move. It still does not make it easier to create an army list and I am sure the app and 3rd party programs will make it better. My criticism is small and overall I am happy with what GW has done with the game.

Thor said...

Yeah, it's annoying for sure, but if it means we'll see more frequent updates from GW to address balance issues then I can live with it - if begrudgingly.