BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, June 25, 2017

My First Game of 40K 8th Edition

On Saturday I played my first game of 40K 8th Edition and it was fun.  My buddy Jeff and I decided to throw down 1000 points of match play.  I pulled out my Orks and he had his Space Wolves.

So lets look at what 1000 points gets you playing Orks.

1  Ghazghkull Thraka HQ 215
3  Killa Kanz HS 188
5  Lootas HS 85

1  Boss Zagstruck HQ 88
8  Stormboyz 98

3 units of 12 Boys 318

This is a Battalion Detachment giving me a total of 6 command dice at 992 points


We just set out to play a basic game to get familiar with the rules and prepare for a tournament scheduled for July 1.  For both of us this is a new game because we stopped playing after 5th edition and were very opened minded to the new rules. 

I don't want to get into all the different rules but there are a few that I will need to remember.

1.  When shooting you just roll against your BS and no modifiers.  After all your re-rolls you then add any modifiers.  This is just a new concept I am not familiar with and it really helped speed up my shooting phase.

2.  Weapons that do multiple damage only do damage to a single model.  So when I shot a weapon that does 3 damage into a unit of infantry it will only kill one model.  For weapons that do multiple mortal wounds will remove one infantry model for each mortal wound.  Just one of those rules that will need to be remembered when playing.   

3.  The new moral rule is great and makes life simple.  Any unit that looses a model takes a moral role at the start of their turn.  They roll a D6 and add the number of models lost.  If the value is higher then the units leadership you loose that many more models.  For my Ork Boys we have a special rule that says their leadership is the same as the number of models in the unit.  So a unit of 30 boys charging across the table will be a wall of destruction.

4.  How you charge models now is a big change.  You declare the units you are charging and they can take their over watch firing.  You then roll 2D6 for the charge distance and have to have the first model moved end its move within 1 inch of an enemy model.  If you fail to get within one inch of the unit you are charging it is failed charge.     

5.  Moving out of close combat is now a thing.  You are no longer locked in combat and you can move out.  If you do you can't shoot or charge another unit unless you have the fly key word.  This now adds some new options when playing the game.  If a unit gets charged and survives I can move them out on my turn.  Then I can have another shoot at that unit and charge in for close combat with a fresh unit.  It just adds a bit more strategy to the game.

These were the big rules that we knew going into our games however being our first game we messed some of them up.  This happens a lot to me because I play a lot of different games and getting rules mixed up just happens.

I will say my first impressions of 40K 8th Edition are positive and we had a lot of fun playing the game.  Sure we had to flip around in the book and read some rules as we played but it was our first game.  I will say my unit sheets were very helpful and I was able to get to my data sheets faster.  To me it felt like I was playing a game of Bolt Action first edition or K47.  The rules were very straight forward and after rolling some dice we had the rules down.

Now if everything goes right I will be playing again this Thursday and then a 5 game tournament on Saturday.  This will really help me get a better impression of the game and hammer the rules in my head.  Lets hope this first impression is not just the new shinny game syndrome and it really revitalizes the miniature community. 
 



    


0 Comments: