BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, February 27, 2017

Lets Talk About Painting: Part 7

My local game store is hosting monthly painting challenges for the customers.  The goal is to push the local painters to work with different models and paint different ways.  I keep calling it a competition but it is a challenge.  You might have seen my entry for February, it was a Chibi model and really pushed my painting skills.  Well this month we have been presented with a Reaper miniature which is more in my wheel house.  The challenge is I can only use 8 colors of paint and they can be mixes and thinned but only 8 colors.  I decided to take this challenge a bit further and use all my new Liquitex paints I picked up from the local craft store.  The colors I am going with are listed below.  

Black
White
Green
Orange
Red
Blue
Brown
Flesh Ink


One of the new skills I am going to have to learn is using a wet pallet.  Since I will be mixing paints I will need to keep them active longer.  One of my favorite painters recently posted a video on how to make a wet pallet that I just followed his instructions. 


I am using a cigar tin for my wet pallet because I had one just sitting around.  It is a solid bottom so the water will not leak out. 






I played around with this last night and it does keep my paints active longer.  I will need to learn how to thin my paints while using the wet pallet.  The moisture on the pallet already thins the paints some so I just need to add less water.





I covered the wet pallet when I was done and checked it out this evening when I got home form work.  The paints did separate some but still usable. 





I was pleasantly surprise how much I liked using the wet pallet however it is some work getting it all set up.  I do feel the extra effort setting up the wet pallet will pay off in the long run.  I will be using it for this months painting challenge and if it helps with my painting I will continue to use it. 

I will also be making my own washes since it is consider a paint.  I have made washes before and learned a lot watching Mel at The Terrain Tutor.  With everything set up it will be time to paint up this months model. 


1 Comments:

Greg Hess said...

Wet palettes are amazing! Really help you maximize your moneys worth, as you aren't rushing to finish before the paint dries!