BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, December 30, 2016

A Look Back at 2016

This was a productive year for me with gaming and painting.  I finished a Saga, Bolt Action, K47 and Marvel armies.  I also finished many random models and started a few new projects for future games.  I have been working hard just trying to get something painted every week so I can continue growing my painted collections. 

My biggest success in 2016 was renovating my gaming room and painting space for me.  My new desk and lighting has really helped me stay focused and I can just sit and paint for long periods of time.  When I get tired I just turn around and start playing my bass and life is good.

Another thing I started doing is listening to podcasts while painting.  It makes me feel like I am at the game shop just hanging out and painting while talking about gaming.  I listen to podcasts for games I don't play but the enthusiasm of the hosts just keeps me motivated. 

I have also been extremely active on social media, FB and Twitter.  I am able to reach out to other painters and talk about our hobbies.  I can find links on different painting techniques and just be amazed by all the amazing painters. 

So lets looks at the games I am played and plan on playing in 2017.

Sags:  Still a great game and I have invested a lot of time and energy into this game.  I built some amazing terrain for it and now have two painted armies.  I started a third army that I will finish up in 2017 and most likely will start another one when the new supplement is released, Age of Aurthur.

Bolt Action: We saw the release of BA Second Edition and they really changed the game.  I picked up the new rules but have not played a game.  I now have three armies for the game; USE, Germans and Russians.  I am sure I will get this game on the table in 2017 and who knows maybe another army painted.

Gate of Antares:  This game was released towards the end of 2015 and I was excited when it came out.  I actually painted up armies for the local store and hosted demos games with my buddy Tim.  We tried to get the game up and running but it fell flat.  Warlord was just slow getting new models out and it was hard to get people excited about it.  Throughout the year new models have come out and I am going to try to build a community up around the game again in 2017. 

Konflikt '47:  This was another new release from Warlord Games and it is a weird WW2 game.  I was attracted to it because I could just add a few units to my already existing armies plus it used the original BA rule set.  Once the game came out a group of us got together and started painting armies.  I picked up the Russians and have painted up over 1500 point army.  We have a small group playing on a regular basis and I have already started collecting my next army.  So plan on seeing more of this in 2017.

Blood Bowl:  Let me first say that GW has really turned their company around and are releasing some amazing products.  I have found myself looking at all their games again and might even start playing AOS and 40K.  I do know I will be playing Blood Bowl again and have already finished my custom board.  My first painting project for 2017 will be a Blood Bowl team and I am sure I will paint more then one.  The good thing about painting a Blood Bowl team is the fact you only have to paint 16 models.  I can do that in a couple of weeks.  The local shop is going to start a league in 2017 and I am planning on taking part in it. 

EPIC:  Yes I am playing EPIC again and very excited about it.  My buddy Anthony has started playing again and I was able to join in a few times.  He plays on Fridays and I can always get a Friday free to play, that is my day with the wife.  However, she recently took a promotion and might be working on Fridays more often leaving me free to play more EPIC.  I ordered all the units I need to finish my Necron army and I might start work on my Orcs again. 

Con Games:  This was a concept I came up with after attending a local gaming convention.  I set out to take board games and upscale them.  Something that you would want to play at a convention and just have fun.  The first game I created was Thunder Alley.  I build a board for it and used toy cars as the gaming pieces.  I was able to pull it out twice during the year and it was well received.  I am sure I will get this back on the table in 2017 and my next game is Blue Max, WW1 air combat.  I already have everything for this just want to get it on the table.

Spartan Games:  Well didn't do much with any of their games this year.  I really wanted to get Firestorm Armada and HALO going at the local shop.  The more I played their games the more I didn't like them.  I didn't sell off my stuff and maybe I will look at their games again in 2017 since I have painted fleets. 

So what are the plans for 2017....... I will continue to help build a community around the games I already play.  The best way to do that is just play games at the shop and get people excited about them.  I could say that these games will be the only games I will focus on but I can't say that.  There are so many great games already out and I am sure more coming out next year.  I have armies already painted for the games and will just continue painting more as time moves forward. 

Next year I will be attending Adepticon in March.  This is one of those things on my bucket list and my wife and I have saved up for this trip.  It is just going to be fun meeting the people I talk to on social media and new people that just enjoy the hobby.  I signed up for some painting classes and next year I am really going to focus on improving my painting skills.  Along with improving my painting skills I am determined to learn how to use my air brush.  I messed around with it last year and took a few classes.  I just didn't focus on it as much because it is just a pain in the ass to set everything up outside to paint.  With the renovations to my hobby room and the purchase of a spray booth I will be spending more time with my air brush.  My new spray booth will not arrive till next week and will fit on my new hobby desk.  Even if I just use it for priming and base coating it will improve the look of my models.

So that is my year in review.  I have finally settled on a few games that I enjoy and have painted armies for them.  This means I can not just focus on improving my painting skills and make room in my collection for a few more new games that have not yet been released.  I will also be blogging more and not just painted projects but more about what I am learning about painting.  I know that the internet is infested with all kings of advise and "how to" articles.  What I am going to be posting is just going to be documenting what I am learning and maybe creating some videos along the way.

I will see back next year

Mike      
















6 Comments:

Dean Vuckovich said...

So you are going to AdeptiCon in 2017? Now that I am back in Michigan, I'll be attending also. I signed up for the Bolt Action US Nationals on Sat/Sun... Have not played V2 yet (will be getting a game in on 1/22 to freshen up on the ruleset). I'll just be going to meet up with some old friends and throw some dice, could care less how I do in the tourny.

Maybe I'll paths will meet.

Dagreenskins said...

What part of Michigan? That is my home state and I don't miss the cold. I am not playing in any of the events but will be checking them out. I will try and track you down.

Dean Vuckovich said...

SW Michigan near St Joe (actually town is called Coloma).
Wifes sister/brothers are here, and most of my family is still in Chicago. My oldest sin Dragi is staying in AZ.

I found a Michiana Bolt Action group on FB and will be meeting with them in Jan.

Dagreenskins said...

It is good to hear you still are playing and painting. I was born in Mount Clemens and left in 75, I'm old. Have a great New Years

Robert Brightwell said...

Sounds like a good year of gaming! I am going to try and get some Saturday time this year so maybe we can get in a game or two. I am trying to make sure any of the big participation games are on Saturdays too. Happy New Year!

Dagreenskins said...

Hey Rob it would be great to get some games in with you this year. I am looking forward to the big game in Feb it should be a blast.