BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, August 28, 2015

HALO By Spartan Games

I recently have become addicted to Spartan Games, not just one or two of their games but all of their product line.  I have been buying and painting models for Firestorm Armada and HALO.  I have picked up two player starter sets for Planet Fall, Firestorm Armada and HALO plus a Britannia Army for Dystopian Wars.  It is also rumored that they are bringing back Uncharted Seas and I still have my Orc Fleet.     

So what has caused me to jump so heavily into the Spartan Games line and start pushing their models around on the table.  My interest in space combat had grown with the popularity of other games like Xwing, Attack Wing and Star Wars Armada.  I was excited when Star Wars Armada came out and even purchased two starter sets.  I played the game a few times and quickly lost interest.  It just didn't have what I wanted in a capital ship game and that is when I started looking for an alternative.  That is what brought me to Spartan Games.

I first picked up the two player starter set for Firestorm Armada and have been painting The Directorate.  These are just big resin spaceships that I get to paint up and push around the table.




While spending time learning more about Firestorm Armada I found Planet Fall.  I have not painted any models yet but plane to soon.  This is ground combat set in the Firestorm world and after playing a few games of it I was hooked.

The whole time I spent discovering all the games they have to offer I was following their progress on HALO Fleet Battles.  I am not a video game guy and I was just amazed by the models they were producing in a hard plastic.  I was concerned that it was going to be a copy of Firestorm Armada but it is not.  It has the same combat system just like their other games but they were able to make enough changes to make this game stand apart from Firestorm Armada.  I decided to set aside Firestorm Armada for right now and get behind HALO and start pushing it at the local game stores.  I just recently finished painting the two forces and making some terrain. 






What I really like about Spartan Games is the fact that their rules are free to download for all their games except HALO.  Here is a link to their download page; Spartan Games Download and I suggest you check them out if these games interest you.  

8 Comments:

Mike G. said...

I've always loved the Spartan Games game systems. The perpetual beta always ends up killing it for me. I have had armies for all their games at one time or another. I have been constantly looking at Dystopian Wars since they released 2.0. I have to admit that I have almost pulled the trigger on Planet Fall a few times too. Planet Fall is very appealing since Dropzone Commander was not what I was looking for.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think about Planet Fall.

Also, did the resin ships for Firestorm Armada get any better? I had a bunch when the game first released and they had a lot of pitting and warping which is rare for Spartan.

Mike Wilster said...

Hi Mike

The models I got were it get shape, no pitting and nothing was warped. They needed some cleaning but no issues.

I have only played one game of Planet Fall and it was fun. I have always wanted to find a replacement for EPIC and hope this is it. It will be the next project on my painting table and once it is done we will have to play a few games.

IOG has a small group of player for Dystopian Wars and they have nothing but good things to say about it. From what I know is you can play Land, Sea or Air or a combination of them.

I will keep you posted.

Mike G. said...

I played a lot of Dystopian Wars 1.1 and it was great. 2.0 looks more polished. The game works best as a naval on naval game. Including air is good. I found the land stuff to play best by itself.

It's really hard to tell how many models would make a good game for planet fall.

Mike Wilster said...

Then add in Dystopian Legions and it is a complete campaign system. Plantet Fall is built by building a Helix. Each Helix consists of different models and you are limited by what ones you can take. It has a interesting army build and helps limit the min max builds. They are still releasing models so not all the Helixs are available yet.

Mike G. said...

I actually own a British force for Dystopian Legions ­čśâ. I was reading on army sizes for Planet Fall. 5000 points seems to be the lower end which is like three helix. Most people say five helix is a good game. I'm really close to pulling the trigger. The starter is a great deal although I would prefer other factions I think.

Mike Wilster said...

I am getting the starter sets for all their games my goal is to become a Vanguard for them. The starter sets gives you one core Helix for two different armies. It is a great deal for the size of the models and the core Helix is required for all armies. If you pull the trigger just get a core Helix so you can get the feel of the game and see if you like it.

Inhir said...

I would love to try out halo and planet fall

Mike Wilster said...

Inhir good to hear from you. I am still learning how to play myself once I get the rules down I will teach you how to play. I really feel you will like both games.