BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, October 27, 2014

Robotech: Kickstarter

Well it finally arrived, Robotech.  Another KS that I backed and another KS that is almost a year late.  This is just Wave One, I still have to wait for all the other items that I ordered and those are not in production yet.  I hope once all the Wave One stuff ships out we will get some updates about Wave Two.

I pledged this project at Battle Cry May 2013, it was scheduled to be delivered Dec 2013.  It arrived today Oct 2014.   I also spent another $60 for added items, for a total of $200.

Let me jump into the box and show off what I received.  



This bag of models are all the unlocks and extra free stuff I received on top of what is inside the game box

The box is huge, one of the largest boxes I have seen for a miniatures game.  It is 11.5 X 11.5 X 6 1/8 my little chihuahua can use it as a dog house once I am done with it

Lets see what inside this cool looking box.
Look at all the plastic goodness, looking at these spurs these are not miniatures they are models.  I really like this because I enjoy building Gundam models.  They have all kinds of bits and pieces to create all the different poses.


After removing the models I found all the extra stuff.  

Flipping through the Rule Book I found the painting guide.  This will help me out because I don't know a lot about the Robotech world and need all the help I can get with painting.

I then opened the plastic bag full of models and added it to the box.  It filled the box to the top will all kinds of cool models.

Taking a closer look at the models you can see the detail.  These are going to be a blast to paint.






The bases are cool,  cast arrows to show facing and looks like a name plate on the backside.






The decals are a nice touch.  They were shipped with a protective cover over the decal sheet and they were not damaged in shipping.


The one thing so far I don't like is the fact that I have three different size cards: Regular Cards, Half Cards and 3X5 Cards.  I can place all the cards in card sleeves but the 3X5 cards.  They will have to go in a hard plastic protector.  The cards are used to track wounds and provide the stats and abilities. 



This KS project has been hit with more then one issue with production, shipping and the backers.  I have been on the KS comment page sharing my frustration with some the the decisions made by Palladium Books.  With everything said I am very pleased with what has shown up in Wave One.  I can't wait to get the Wave Two items so I can really enjoy this game.  

Looking at the models I can understand why some gamers might not like building these.  They are models and not miniatures.  You have to build the legs and the body and put all those pieces together.  I think Bandai might have had something to do with the design of the models. They will require more time to build but should be worth the extra time.  

I was a play tester for this game and can be found credited in the rule book, how cool is that.  I can't wait to read the final edition of the rules and see what has changed.  So far I have only flipped through it and like what I have seen so far.

For right now Robotech will be put on the back burner.  I have Arena Rex that arrived last week and want to get those models painted.  Once those are done I will get to work on this project.  I need to test paint the models to find out what primers will work best and what paints I want to use.  I will expect to see this game getting a lot of attention in 2015 from me and other.


7 Comments:

Greg Hess said...

Awesome that you were credited in the manual!

That's a good way of looking at these. Models instead of miniatures. That might be my hesitance in diving into this box.

I still haven't decided, but I'm leaning towards selling wave 1, and keeping wave 2 for building and fun. (not to actually play the game).

I really just want the MkII monster and some officer pods! :)

Mike Wilster said...

Let me know if you want to sell off your Wave 1 I would be up for a trade. I have lots or Ork stuff if your interested.

Greg Hess said...

Hmm I'll get back to you on that. I'm mainly looking for a NIB stompa and imperial knight, which is roughly for what the kickstarter battlecry's are going for on ebay. (the two big guys I need to finish my army for LVO and Nova)

Mike Wilster said...

With that bonus bag of stuff that is about the right price. I would encourage you to try the game out and attempt to build one of the models but understand if you don't. Once this product hits the stores I am sure some of the ebay prices will drop. That price tag is just a bit too much for me at this time.

Greg Hess said...

Understand Mike. I figure I am going to keep most of wave 2, (which has the super valks, the named officer, armored veritechs, and my Monster.

Jeremy said...

there is a lot of glue products out there and it seems that ABS is the preferred medium. what are you planning on using for these guys?

testors 3507 is my leading choice but plastruct makes a bondene product that you paint onto seams to seal them. I dont know if that would be conducive to all the small parts for these models.

Mike Wilster said...

Hey Jerry, I was just going to use the GW plastic glue but I will look at picking up some Testors. Now that models are being made out of plastic more and more it might be time to change the glue that I normally use.