BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, July 5, 2013

DreadBall Kick Off: Not Worth It


Today I walked into the game shop and noticed an end cap was filled with DreadBall.  This has been one of those games I have been looking at and talking about to my friends but never picked it up.  The main reason I never picked it up was the fact that the game shop I play at did not carry it.  Well that all changed this week and the shop owner started carrying the game. 

So he had two Deluxe Starter Box Sets and two Kick Off Box Sets.  I looked them both over to compare what came with each box set and which one provided the best bag for my dollar.  That turned out to be the Deluxe Starter Box Set.  It gives you everything you need to play the game and more. 

The main differences between the two box sets are as follows:

Deluxe Box Set 

DreadBall contains everything you need to get gaming:

  • 1 x 84 Page A4 Full Colour Rulebook
  • 1 x Mounted Game Board
  • 10 x Plastic Corporation Players (4 Strikers, 4 Jacks, 2 Guards)
  • 10 x Plastic Marauder Players (6 Jacks, 4 Guards)
  • 1 x Plastic Referee
  • 2 x Plastic Balls
  • 54 x Game Cards
  • 18 x Dice
  • 13 x Game Counters
  • 24 x Clear Plastic Hex Bases
  • 1 x Roster Pad
  • 1 x Mantic Point
Kick Off Box Set

DreadBall contains everything you need to get gaming:

  • 1 x Full Colour KickOff Rulebook
  • 1 x Full Rules Download
  • 1 x Mounted Game Board
  • 8 x Plastic Corporation Players
  • 8 x Plastic Marauder Players
  • 1 x Plastic Balls
  • 12 x Dice
  • 13 x Game Counters
Now this is when everything went south.  I got distracted in a conversation with the guys at the shop and set the box back on the shelf.  Then we started playing games and just hanging out and before I knew it both the Deluxe Starter Box sets were gone.  So this left me with only one option and that was to buy the Kick Off Box set.  Now the cost difference between the two box sets is $30 and it was understandable with all the additional items you get with the Deluxe Set.  The Kick Off Set states that you will get everything you need to play the game however that is not true.  You will notice that the Kick Off Box Set does not include the plastic bases.  Normally I would not care about the bases because I have thousands of bases collecting dust in my closet and I am sure they will work for this game.  Then I noticed that the models are all on a small round "kinda-of" base that fits in a hole on the bases designed for the game.  So when I got home from the shop I hit the internet to find these bases and I could only find them on the Mantic Games website.  They are not expensive to buy, $5.00 but shipping is $4.50, so $9.50.  Now my $50.00 box set just shot up to $59.50.  So the $30 cost difference just dropped to $20.50 and I still need to download and print the rule book, buy the cards and I got 4 less models, no referee and no roster sheets. 

So when the company states that you get everything to play they game in the Kick Off Box Set you don't.  The hex bases are important to the game mechanics for facing and also so the models can stand up and not fall over so easily.  So buyers beware, don't buy the Kick Off Box Set it is not worth it in any way shape or form, IMO.  Mantic Games decided to save a few dollars by not providing the bases and that means you have to purchase them or make something else work in place of them.  I don't know what to say, just not happy with this purchase.  Never heard of a company being so cheap not to include bases with models.  What a rip off.                

4 Comments:

Mike G. said...

I am not sure why they released the kick-off box. It is not a good buy at all. You are missing the cards and referee which are a key part of the game.

Dreadball is a tremendous game and I cannot recommend it enough. I have logged one league and over 20 plays. Having played years of Blood Bowl, I believe Dreadball is a far superior game.

As an aside, you really do need bases for the minis and the mantic ones are ideal.

Da Green Skins said...

Hey Mike it is good to know that it is a good game. I am looking forward to painting the models and getting some games in. I have been reading the rules and watching some videos and it looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait for my bases to arrive so I can start playing.

Mike G. said...

If you want to get a game in let me know. I also have a great quick reference sheet my friend did that I can send to you if you want.

Thanh said...

This is great!