BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, January 19, 2013

What Makes A Great Game

The other night my buddy Tim and I were talking about gaming while driving to a local game shop.  Our conversation focused on the experience of gaming rather then the games.  It left me with the following thoughts about "What makes a great game?"

So I am breaking gaming down into three categories:

A Game: I see a lot of games taking place at the local game shop.  This is two people pushing unpainted models around the table with some terrain.  It is basically the board game experience of miniature gaming.  I have played plenty of games like this and still play them today.  I have been striving to change this however I play a lot of different games and don't have the time to paint them all.  I am doing better getting my armies painted and have actually put some games off until I can get my armies painted. 

A Good Game:  This is a step up in which the models are painted or in transition of getting painted and the table has a fair amount of terrain.  This makes the experience of gaming more enjoyable and makes for an attractive table top game. 

A Great Game: This is the pinnacle of gaming.  Nicely painted models and the table is filled with nice terrain.  This is the kind of game that gets people to stop and watch your game and even take pictures.  I have played games like this with friends and this is a Great Gaming Experience.  For me this is my goal and should be the goal of all gamers. 

Now some game rules create problems for keeping a Great Game Great.  I am currently painting an army for Bolt Action.  One of the rules for this game is giving units fatigue markers when shot at and wounds.  I have seen people use dice, beads and all kinds of items as markers in games.  I decided since my goal was to play Great Games I wanted custom fatigue markers for Bolt Action.  I am using the extra bits and pieces from my Infantry box to make my fatigue makers.  I put a different number of items on each base to represent the number of fatigue markers.  So with the three bases I made I have a total of 6 fatigue markers.  These are going to be used for my Bazooka Team.

       

5 Comments:

Simon Q said...

I can understand where your coming from playing with unpainted figures. Its fun but doesn't quite feel right. Now I've return to the hobby I tend to enjoy painting more than i used so intend to paint before playing but that just my choice.

Like the look of those fatigue markers they are very characterful for the unit your doing them for.

Jerry said...

Nice work on the markers. I assume then that your BA challenge figures are done or close to it? I'm still not close to being done with this month's quota!

Anyway, interesting article. I always prefer painted models whenever I can, and great terrain makes the whole difference. Otherwise, unpainted models and craptastic terrain make me feel too much like I'm playing with action figures.

Da Green Skins said...

Simon Q, thanks for the feedback. I am going to keep my fatigue markers themed with the units. It will just add to my gaming experience.

Jerry, yes I am done with this months painting. Once this painting challenge is done I want to start working on 15mm terrain for GRUNTZ. I am really liking this game.

Phil said...

Very nice markers, great work!
Phil.

Aventura Jeep said...

I actually enjoyed reading through this posting.Many thanks...

Aventura Jeep