BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Blood Bowl Update

I was able to get some work done on my Blood Bowl Board (BBB). If you know how to play this game then you know what all the boxes are on the board. Everything is outlined with 1/4 inch square stock. It took a lot of time just cutting all the pieces to fit the board. I also pulled out my router to round the frame of the board. It is looking rather cool.

Next step is to finish sanding all the wood and blending the 1/4 inch stock. Then I will start getting some paint on the board. I figured I would stain the frame and paint the playing surface. I still have note made any decision on using flocking material on the field. When it comes to numbering all the boxes, I might have my wife do that. She recently purchase a Cricut crafting machine. She has become very skilled at cutting out stuff with it. So I was going to bribe her to cut my numbers out and I will glue them on the board. Then I will take some clear finish and poor it over the numbers. This will create a water effect and protect the numbers from peeling.

Now I have some bad news. I will not be working on this project the next month. I need to prepare for a local tournament, Gathering in the Desert, Lord of the Rings. I still need to make a display board and might want to make some changes to my list which means I need to paint some more models.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Blood Bowl

This will be my first post of 2012 and I couldn't have picked a better subject, Blood Bowl. This is one of those games I only play a few times a year however when I play it I really like the game. Ever time I play the game I always comment about making a custom board.

Well, on Jan 1st the guys got together and we played Blood Bowl and had some great BBQ. While playing I made the comment again about making a custom board. The following day I decided to stop talking about it and stated working on a board. I was going to take pictures of the project from start to finish but I didn't. So you will now see the project half finished. The next step is to trim out the board and get some paint on it. I am happy with my progress so far and want to get some game time in once it is done.



Let me give you a fast run down on what I did so far.

1. I purchased a piece of 1/4 inch MDF which was 4 feet by 2 feet. I then outlined the board onto the MDF. This gave me the overall look of the board and I then trimmed the MDF to the desired sized.

2. I then purchased some wood squares from the craft store and glued them in place. The squares are 1 and 1/8 inches.

3. Then I built a frame for the board out of 3/4 by 3 inch pine. I normally would not use pine for a project like this, it is a soft wood and dents easily. Since I don't play that much I was comfortable using it for this project.

Like I stated earlier, I will be trimming out the board itself. I am planning on using 1/4 inch poplar square stock for this. My plan it to use this wood to outline the board and turn numbers and other things.

After that is done it will be time to get some paint on the project. Once it is painted I will need to decide if I am going to use grass on the field or just paint. I will cross that road when I get their.

I will keep you posted on my progress.