BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, September 5, 2011

Basing Material

For me, basing my models is just as important as painting them. I am always trying new things to make my bases stand out. A few months ago I had to make some repairs to my stucco house. I went to the big home repair store, Home Depot, and looked around for someone to help me. When I finally found someone he showed me what I needed, Quikrete Stucco Repair. I went home and read the instructions and made the needed repairs. I was impressed with my handyman work and this product.



I went to put the remaining product away and wondered how this stuff would work for basing material. I decided to give it a try and spread the product on a piece of scrap wood. It took right to the wood and provided some great texture. Once the product dried I wondered how well it bounded to the wood. So I took the wood and skipped it across the street. The product did chip however it held up better then I expected. So I took the same piece of wood and decided to paint it.



I really liked the texture and strength of the product. Now this is a concrete material so it does have some weight to it. Since I am going to be using for basing material the added weight will not be an issue. I then decided to do a sample model. I picked up a Flames of War base and a GHQ Jeep. Below is the finished product.



Again, I was impressed with this product as a basing material and decided to add this to my collection of basing material. Now you might notice the black trim around the base. This is nothing outside the norm in the gaming community. Many gamers paint the trim of their bases a verity of different colors. It is how I painted the base that is interesting. A while back I was at the craft store with my wife. I was over by the Sharpies and saw an oil based paint marker made by Sharpie. I have always liked Sharpies product line and decided to give it a try. It worked out great and now I have one sitting on my work bench. It has helped me speed up this part of my painting process and gives a nice even coat once I am done. It does have a glossy finish however I use a dull coat so the gloss finish is not an issue.


I hope you get a chance to try these items to help improve your modeling experience.

2 Comments:

Jerry said...

Those are some great tips! I'm going to look for those Sharpies.

Miami Ram said...

Thanks for sharing, I will bookmark and be back again...


Aventura Jeep