May was the start of the Tale of Four Gamers, Lord of the Rings. I jumped right in and got to work painting my Uruk-hai army. I found this army easy to paint and I just finished my May painting. I am going for a dark and dirty army. Some of the custom work include replacing the pikes and custom bases. Now since I finished early I could start work on next months painting however I feel that takes away from the spirit of this challenge. So next month I will paint another 175 points and I will spend the rest of this month working on EPIC stuff.
I thought I would share a short tutorial on how I made my pikes. What I did was took a piece of brass rod and hammered one end flat on my anvil.
Then I took a pair of wire cutters and trimmed it to the shape I wanted.
Then I cut the brass rod slightly over the length that I wanted. I want it longer because I take the cut end and sand it down reducing the size of the brass rod.
I do this so when I cut off the plastic pike I can drill a hole in the model for the new pike. This increases the glue surface and holds the pike in place better. I wanted to drill a small hole in the model so that I didn't cause any visible damage to the model. It worked out really good and I am pleased with the results.