BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Basing my Orks

I must admit, I have been procrastinating building my 40K Orks. I was struggling with how I would store my army once I had it built. I normally use rare earth magnets on my bases and keep them stored in a bankers box. I can't do this with my 40K army because the rare earth magnets are too strong and will cause problems on the table when I play. After trolling around on forums and reading other blogs I came up with a solution.

My solution is to use metal washers. Just a quick 1,2,3 of what I did. I used 1 inch washers which measure out to be 25.4 millimeters. The advantage of using the washers over the GW bases is that you are getting the full size of the base. The GW bases are angled on the sides and you are not really using a 25 millimeter base. The washer are great for my Orks so that their feet are not hanging over the sides. I then glued the washers on a piece of plastic card, 0.5 millimeters thick. I did this to cover the hole in the washer. I used a thin plastic card so that I could removed the excess material in a timely fashion. After the glue dried I cut off the excess and filed down the edges. I then lined my banker box with magnets strips and I was done.


I pulled the picture below off an older post so that you have a better understanding of how I store my armies. I take banker boxes and cut the height down. Then I have a great storage box.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Humvee Update

Lots of work has been done to the Humvee since my last update. I am sharing three different pictures of the model to show you how I put rivets on. The first picture shows the model with plastic rods sticking out from the side. What I do is simple and fast. I cut the plastic rod that I am using for rivets into 1/2 inch sections. I sand the contact side to ensure that it is flat. Then I put a small amount of glue on the contact side and glue it into place. Then once I have a few dozen in place I cut the excess off. When I cut the excess off I make sure that the flat end of my cutters line up with the model. This leaves a nice flat surface. Then once the excess is cut off, I then file the rivets to the height I want them. I have found this method to be a lot more productive then cutting the rivets to size first and then trying to glue them in place. The excess that I cut off is saved to make more rivets. The second two pictures show a more completed look. I still need to file the rivets down however you can see how they look. I still have a lot of work to do on this model and it has slowed me down on my other projects. I am shooting to have the majority of this project done by the end of the month.