BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Paint Removal on Plastic

When I was painting my Orks for the combat patrol I messed up one of my models. When I primed the model it was too cold outside and the paint got fuzzy. This meant one of two things. I could have discarded the model or strip the paint off of it. I did not want to discard the model so I decided to strip the paint. I have never had to strip paint off a plastic model before so it was a new experience. I have read many different article one this process and different product that could be used. I decided to go with brake fluid. I was apprehensive at first, brake fluid and plastic models. I thought this was going to end in disaster. So I went to the store and picked up some STP Brake Fluid and submerged the model in it. I let it soak for a few hours then took an old tooth brush and scrubbed the primer away. It worked like a charm, I was sold on this process. After the primer was removed I scrubbed the models with some dish soap to remove the brake fluid. My model was saved so I could paint it for my army.

I then want to see what it would do with some other models I have sitting in a box. Many months ago I picked up an old 40K Ork army that has some models painted. The paint job on the models was not very good and I have about 30 of them. So I dropped one in the brake fluid and let it soak. This one took a lot longer to get the paint off however it worked. I soaked it for a day and then scrubbed it down. Then I let it soak for a few more days and scrubbed it down again. This went on for over a week and the result was worth it. As you can see in the picture I have one of the models that I received painted and the one I stripped. Now I can save even more models from just sitting in a box. So if you have some old plastic models that you want to bring back to the gaming table with fresh paint on them you can. I strongly recommend starting with only one model to ensure that you get the result you want.


3 Comments:

Dverning said...

Brake fluid is good, but not the best. You can leave it for weeks without damage to most plastic. It's also good for multiple uses. Downside is that it is rot for enamels and proper disposal is an issue. I also recommend wearing gloves as it will do a number on your hands with prolonged exposure.

Seeing that you're in the US... go try some Simple Green. You can pick it up at just about any grocery or hardware store. It has the same positive properties as brake fluid and none of the negative. Cheers!

Da Green Skins said...

Dverning
Thanks for the feedback. I have been looking for Simple Green and have not been able to find it. I will have to look at more stores. Have a great Holiday Season.

Inhir said...

you can find simple green in any major grocery store and most hardware stores. oh and its strip not stripes you crazy ork