BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, June 28, 2009

New Gamer Supplies

This week I had the pleasure of introducing 5 new individuals into the hobby of Table Top War Gaming. I was working at the shop and it was a busy day. I had two different groups come in looking for armies to purchase and supplies. Both groups had the same question, "What do I need to get started?" That lead me to write this blog post about basic supplies all gamers need to paint their armies.

1: You will need some plastic cutters. You can use a pair of toe nail clippers, small wire cutters or plastic cutters for modeling.

2: You will want to have a pair for needle noose pliers. You can use the cutting part of the pliers for removing models form the spur and cutting pinning material. You can also use the pliers for holding models when you prime them.

3: X-acto Knives are the most important tool in your collection. I keep a few on hand however you will only need one and replacement blades. You can actually use an X-acto Knife for remove the model pieces form the spur and clean the casting lines.

4: You will want a good collection of files. I have a small set of metal files, a collection of modeling files and some larger metal files. I use the modeling files on plastic models and the metal files on metal models. The larger files are used to beat models into submission.

5: You will need glue, I use Zap-A-Gap. It is like Super Glue however it is thicker and does not run as bad as Super Glue. You will have to try different glues and find the one that works best for your needs.

6: Paint brushes are a must if you are painting models. I have a good collection I keep in a cigar box. I purchase mine from a local craft store. They don't last long so I don't like spending a lot of money on them.

7: You will need to purchase paints. I use the GW brand paints. They work great for me however you can explore different brands. For someone just starting out just purchase a few colors to get you started. Then you will grow your collection as time goes on.

8: A tooth brush is a very handy tool to have. It will come in handy to dust off your models after cleaning the casting lines. Just in general, it is a good tool to have.

9: The last thing you will need is a can of Primer and a can of Matte Finish. For the Primer you can use black or white, however for someone just getting started I recommend black.




These are just some of the basic things you will need to get started into the hobby of table top war games. It is real easy to get carried away with purchasing stuff to assist your modeling and painting. Just keep it simple and once you have all your supplies put them in a shoe box, tool box, or any type of storage devise. Make your supplies portable so you can take your stuff with you.

0 Comments: